Inspired by the /now page movement. The purpose of this page is to share what I'm currently focused on.
Hi! My name is Josh. I am a freelance software engineer and SRE. I love building resilient systems that delight people. I think a lot about design, intuitive systems and cognative biases. I talk a lot about how to build successful software teams who deliver quality product quickly.
What am I up to?
- Having fun adventures in and around our home with my wife and dog, Millie.
- Focusing on creating rather than consuming. Writing, taking photos and building products.
- Continuing to simplify.
- Exercising, meditating and eating (mostly) vegan food.
- Studying Italian.
What are my interests?
Things I'm reading about and want to know more about.
- Photography. Particularly landscape and macro photography.
- Reading - particularly about neurology, history, and space. What I'm reading.
- Exercising - hiking, badminton and running. My trekking history.
- Gardening - mainly vegetables, aiming to be self-sufficient in leafy vegetables.
- Formula 1.
- Urban Planning.
- Advanced health optimization.
- The design of everyday things.
What tech am I using?
- Laptop: Macbook Pro M1 2020
- Phone: iPhone 8+
- Stack: Although I try any technologies, I mostly use NodeJS, React and Angular
- You can find the setup for my machines (which are standardized) here
Strong opinions, weakly held
- News is an unnecessary resource.
- Good health is simple. Water, Sleep, Exercise.
- Society would be much better with radical honesty.
- Principle-based learning is more valuable than specifics-based learning.
- Modern school is unequipped for a world with instant access to information.
- Modern schooling is unequipped for teaching people to live outside of standard devisasion.
- Good design could solve a variety of social issues.
My blog is my brain
I believe that reading and writing are the most nourishing forms of meditation anyone has so far found. - Kurt Vonnegut
I strongly resonate with Vonneguts thoughts on writing. I believe that writing about a topic is powerful tool for learning. So, this blog is a record of things I have learned or been thinking deeply about. Largely, I write for myself. Although I love the idea that other people read my writing, the words are meant to capture my mind at a certain point in time. I can then travel back in time by reviewing the archive of this page.
Last Updated 26th July 2022, from Walsall, UK